My team and I were in El Paso, Texas recently and had the pleasure of spraying our new Hybrid Pro 1.0 sprayfoam system. We were absolutely blown away with how well this foam sprays.
This is a medium density hybrid cell sprayfoam system that has roughly 62% open cells so it sprays out like the perfect mix between an open cell .05 PCF system and a 2.0 PCF closed cell system. The expansion rate is probably close to 70x its liquid volume as opposed to 30x with 2.0 PCF systems and 100x with .05 PCF systems. We calculated between 10,000 and 12,000 board feet per set yield while spraying on OSB in 2×4 and 2×6 stud walls. With an R-value of 4.8 per inch it only takes roughly 2.7 inches of this material to achieve an R-13 value which equates to an in place board foot cost of roughly $.20 to you. So, your in place material cost to achieve an R-13 value is roughly $.54 per square foot. With traditional .05 PCF sprayfoam systems, you typically have to install 4″ of material and shave off the excess to achieve an R-13 in a 2×4 wall. Your in place material cost for this application is roughly $.13 per inch or $.52 per square foot to fill a 2×4 stud cavity. As you can see, the in place material cost is almost identical between the two products. So the question then becomes: Why use a 1.0 PCF system instead of a .05 PCF system to insulate stud walls? Here are the reasons;
- The 1.0 spray system saves you money because there is no need for shaving the walls, cleanup is much faster and there is minimal or no disposal costs. Therefore, application times can be reduced by as much as 50%.
- The 1.0 spray system is a better air barrier because you’re not shaving off the outer skin like you would with .05 PCF systems. This tough outer skin is crucial to the air sealing characteristics of open cell foam insulation’s.
- The 1.0 spray system adds tremendous structural integrity to the wall system once the foam is cured out. Traditional .05 PCF systems really don’t add any significant strength characteristics to wall assemblies. The 1.0 system is impressively rigid and strong and could even be mistaken for a closed cell foam system.
- Almost all .05 PCF spray systems are very finicky and at times tend to shrink away from the studs on the sides or pull away from the sheathing in the back which can create air pockets for moisture to accumulate. You’ll find that the 1.0spray system is far more stable and has much better adhesion and stability characteristics.
- The cell structure of the 1.0 spray system is much tighter and resembles that of a closed cell foam system more so than an open cell foam system. This tighter cell structure gives the 1.0 system a much lower water vapor absorption rating and therefore protects against water vapor intrusion much better than a .05 PCF foam system.
Just like the HybridPro 1.6, this too is a must try foam system. If given this choice between spraying this 1.0 system or a .05 PCF foam system in exterior wall systems, I would 100% choose spraying the 1.0 HybridPro sprayfoam system. Give us a call today and schedule a trial with this amazing new material. You’ll be extremely happy with how well it sprays and how much faster you’ll get in and out of job sites. And as always, I am available any time for questions so please reach out to me if you have any.